Published: 23rd July 2021
The partnership aims to bring about a number of benefits for health services and patients in South East London, including:
- Improved quality of patient care and experience. One example is the fast-tracking of urgent GP requests which will enable more conditions to be managed within the community, helping to prevent unnecessary hospital attendances and admissions.
- Digitally innovative – IT systems will link laboratories with referral sites, providing easier and faster access to testing services and results by clinicians in hospitals as well as in the community. The aim is that clinicians will be able to manage a patient’s care more effectively across primary, community and acute healthcare services to bring improvements long-term.
- Enhanced experience with better access for primary care clinicians. Local healthcare services will benefit from improvements in consistency, reliability and flexibility of pathology testing services, including collection arrangements, and electronic ordering and reporting.
- Access to international research and development, as well as scientific and clinical expertise within specialist laboratories and hospitals across Europe, shared learning and best practice.
- Investing for the future: Investment will provide the NHS with state-of-the-art laboratories, purpose built to meet the needs of modern-day healthcare services. There will also be investment in the latest technology and equipment, providing access to a wider repertoire of tests and testing capability.
- Performance management: New, integrated IT systems will automatically populate performance management dashboards, resulting in improved monitoring against Key Performance Indicators.